Sunday, December 9, 2012

Confessions of a Bibliophile

SEE HERE I confess that I only have 10,000 books so the idea of someone having 50,000 fills me with a certain sentiment that some might mistake for envy.  I can really sympathize with the idea of whiling away time in used book stores.  They are filled with old books and it is well understood by every bibliophile that old books are better than new books almost always.  Why that is I'm not entirely sure but I suspect it has something to do with the slow degeneration of the society so that increasingly new books are not about anything really worth reading about.  Of course the people that get these books don't quite get that.  Perhaps they would if they were to follow C.S. Lewis's advice to read an old book every time after reading a new book.  Of course that means you have to find an old book.  The libraries, run no doubt with the best of intentions are throwing out the old books so that soon enough they have nothing in them worth reading.  On the other hand that means you can get the really good books, that is the old books, at bargain prices.  There, I've given away the secret.

No comments: