Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Government


Some wag said that "The one thing I'm thankful for is that we don't get as much government as we pay for." That probably says it all, but the folks that run the government are constantly trying to do better.
I think it was Jefferson who said,"That government governs best that governs least." We seem to have lost that vision of government as something that strives not to get in your knickers to one that is always trying to save you from yourself. "I'm from the government. I'm here to help you." is one of the great lies from a list of one-liners I read once.
It would be good to turn it around, but all we ever get is promises of less government. The promises never, so far at least, turn out to be true. I suppose that that means that only liars run for public office.

No comments: